Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Experience Installing VM tools on Citrix P2V server

One of the Admin did P2V for Citrix Server and was not able to install VM tools onto it. While I wrote couple of blogs for Citrix Virtualization

1. Best Practices for deploying Citrix on VMware ESX

2. Troubleshooting P2V Citrix Box on Vmware

3. Clone/Copy PS4.5

But my dear college fail to refer these and complain that he is not able to power on the VM after P2V.

1. I  tried and status of VM remain same . Red and Green button both were  ON

2. So I decided that I will create a new VM and attach the HDD and see if I am able to power on VM. This is make the thing clear if P2V was an issue OS .  When I attach this P2V HDD to the newly created VM , I got a strange message that  file is locked.

How come file is locked . I have shutdown and unregister the VM . I logged into service console to check the status of VM.

‘Ps –ef ‘  did not help. The one which help was

‘ps axuw | grep vmx’

‘ps axuw | grep vmware-vmx’

‘ps auxfww | grep  <vm name>’

To my surprise this shows that VM is still running. So it was clear why it was not allowing me to attach HDD to new VM.

Even ‘esxtop ’ shows that vm was running. Killed all this PID and I was successfully able to attach the HDD to newly created VM and was able to power on. This clear my doubts that it was not the VM neither the OS.

This also raises doubts how this file did got locked after P2V. May be he was following wrong method? Since this happed second time I have decided to investigate entire P2V process which our folks were following.

3. HDD was reverted back to original P2V machine and powered back ON. VM tool was not installed so I decided to install VM tool. I got following error message .      

            clip_image002

Why not since this is running Citrix and it is suppose to run in Application mode. Message which comes is really confusing and need not to be followed.

You can change terminal service mode from the command line itself

To determine the current mode on the Terminal Server server, run the change user /query command at a command prompt.

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

At the command prompt, type change user /install, and then press ENTER. The following message appears:

User session is ready to install applications.

Type exit, and then press ENTER.

Add or remove the programs that you want.

To switch a Terminal Services server into Execute mode, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

At the command prompt, type change user /iexecute, and then press ENTER. The following message appears:

User session is ready to install applications.

Type exit, and then press ENTER.

When you install programs in Install mode, Terminal Services tracks all registry entries, and the HKEY_CURRENT_USER information is primarily written to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server\Install

When you finish the program installation, by clicking Finish or by typing change user /execute, the system returns to Execute mode. The registry information that was written to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive during installation is written to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive for each user when they log on to the Terminal Server

SOURCE : KB252330

After this I was able to install VM tools

No comments: