Thursday, June 11, 2009

My design for ESX network

I had been trying to find out what would be the best way to configure NICS on ESX.

My college told me to use Tagged VLAN for each component. Then I got into trouble that I cannot use single switch to have two tagged VLAN associated and use that for additional redundancy.

I argued and told why you want to tag VLAN when it got trunked on my NICs instead you label it as VLAN1 (In layman term trunk all the VLAN which has been created) and if I wish I will tag the packets when I send it out of my vSwitch.

What I have read about tagging is “ It is just a help you in switch Administration and have nothing to do with technical advantage” . If that is the case then my dear network engineer you trunked every VLAN on each of the NIC and I will pick and choose. This will be very helpful for me to design.

If you want to achieve this then you need to have following config on each of your port associated on your vSwtich

description * ESX*

switchport access vlan 1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree portfast trunk

I have also shared my one of the network design










No comments: